The benefits of a consensual audit include:
- Helping to raise awareness of data protection;
- Showing an organisation’s commitment to, and recognition of, the importance of data protection;
- Independent assurance of data protection policies and practices; and
- Identification of data protection risks and practical, pragmatic,organisational specific recommendations.
An audit will typically assess an organization’s procedures, systems, records and activities in order to:
- Ensure the appropriate policies and procedures are in place;
- Verify that those policies and procedures are being followed;
- Test the adequacy controls in place;
- Detect breaches or potential breaches of compliance; and
- Recommend any indicated changes in control, policy and procedures.